Everybody has some of these, you know, the ones sitting at the back of the wardrobe or in the bottom drawer. So, what can we do with these items of clothing which are just lying around looking sad and wanting someone to wear them?! Let’s take a little look at a few things that can be done.
- Why not have a swap night with some of your friends, where you can all bring items that you don’t wear anymore, and then swap some of the items around. This makes a great excuse for a night in, and you never know what you may end up with! Just like the old saying goes, your trash may be someone else’s treasure. Just ensure that what you bring home will be clothing that you will actually wear and looks good on you and isn’t just more clutter in your wardrobe.
- Donating old clothes to charity is a grand idea for a number of reasons. It’s a great way to free up some space in your wardrobes and drawers (and who doesn’t want that?!). The environment will also benefit because clothing thrown away rather than donated will end up on the landfill. Plus, donating old clothes can be especially helpful to society as people who need affordable clothing often have access to donated clothes. So, take out the ones you just know you’re never going to wear gain and take them down to the charity shop. Some charity shops, even have a pick-up service where they will happily come to your door to collect your unwanted items.
- Sell your clothes on the internet. Online sites such as eBay, sell next to everything, and you get some money back – especially on those items that still have their original label on them (we all have those items lying around somewhere, that seemed like a good idea at the time!). In many cases, bundles of clothing sell better than an individual item. Don’t forget to group them in size, style, brand, etc.… and check out what people are buying.
- Making the old into new. If your clothes are looking like last century or tired, get out the sewing machine and make a few adjustments to them. You can simply transform and tweak your clothes.
- Try replacing the buttons on an old cardigan, jacket or coat. Pick up some new fun buttons at the fabric store and update the look. Make a more individual style.
- Change those retro flared jeans into skinny ones. Turn the jeans inside out and pin the edges of your jeans together, about up to the knee, but still make sure to leave some room to bend your knees. Then sew along where you placed the pins. Turn the jeans right side out and try them on. And there you have a new cool looking pair of jeans!
There are so many other things that can be done with old unwanted clothing, but at least the above will be a start!